The Boise State University Gender Equity Center empowers students to achieve their academic goals by providing educational outreach, support services and a safe place. We promote active citizenship and focus primarily on gender-related issues, encouraging dialogue about the social construction of gender and how gender intersects with race, ethnicity, class, sex, sexual orientation, ability, age and nationality.
The Boise State University Gender Equity Center envisions being part of a community where students:
- feel safe expressing all aspects of their identities
- can achieve their academic goals
- are supported in their work to create equity
- inspire others to action in challenging oppression everywhere
The Gender Equity Center works to raise awareness about policies, services and programs throughout the university that affect women and the LGBTQIA community (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex and Ally). Educational programs highlight the contributions and achievements of women and LGBTQIA people and address concerns such as equal opportunity, personal development and leadership.
The center also creates opportunities for critical thinking, encouraging students to develop a deeper understanding of sexism, homophobia, gender-based violence, racism and ableism with the ultimate goal of helping them reach their full potential and form their own strategies to promote and create a safe and just society.
The Gender Equity Center acts as a point of entry where issues concerning women and the LGBTQIA community can be handled directly or supportively through the appropriate university office or community agency.
The center also provides resources and information on a variety of topics including:
- healthy relationships
- nontraditional student consultations
- event planning and coordination
- advocacy for sexual assault, relationship violence and stalking
- women’s and LGBTQIA wellness
- life transitions and crises
- ally development
A Safe Place
The Gender Equity Center has two lounges—including the LGBTQIA Lounge—that are safe, supportive and comfortable places for students to meet, study and work with the Gender Equity Center staff and other students.
Gender Equity Center Staff
- Adriane Bang, LMSW, Director, email@example.com
- Kim Camacho, LMSW, Violence Prevention Support Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Csea Leonard, Program Coordinator, email@example.com
- Mallory Armstrong, Administrative Assistant II, firstname.lastname@example.org