Skip to Main Content

Reporting Relationship Violence

  • Find a safe place as soon as possible. The Women’s And Children’s Alliance (WCA) is a local domestic violence shelter in Boise, and Hope’s Door is a shelter available in Caldwell. They offer case management, counseling, safety planning, and legal advocacy.
  • If you have been injured, it’s important to seek immediate attention from a medical provider or at an emergency room such as St. Luke’s or St. Alphonsus hospitals.
  • To report a crime, you may call Ada County Dispatch (377-6790) or University Security and Police Services (426-1453).  If it is an emergency, call 911.
  •  If you plan to report to police, it is important to preserve physical evidence of any assault.  If you experienced a sexual assault, you can help preserve physical evidence by refraining from showering or bathing, washing your hands or clothing, changing your clothing or bedding, using the toilet, or eating or drinking.   Do not attempt to gather or collect evidence, this should be done by a trained police officer.
  • If you are a student and the person who hurt you is a student, you may also file a complaint through The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (campus judicial proceedings). Boise State University does not require physical evidence to file a complaint, and the Violence Prevention and Support Coordinator can serve as an advisor in this process.
  • A criminal investigation may occur separate from a judicial proceeding on campus if the person who hurt you is a member of Boise State University.
  • To consult with the Violence Prevention and Support Coordinator (VPSC) and to receive information and resources in a confidential manner, call the Women’s Center (426-4259) during office hours (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.). The VPSC can speak with you on the phone or in person to provide options about safety planning, shelter, protection orders, police reporting, medical and counseling services, student conduct options, and a variety of other resources. You may also consult with an advocate from the Women’s And Children’s Alliance (WCA) domestic violence hotline by calling 343-7025.

Seek counseling or other support. Many resources and services are available on campus and in the community.